Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Container Store

Life is complicated, and one of my life goals is simplification. I call little simplifications "friction reducers". For example, if you have a computer, you need to back it up. If you can figure out a way to do the backup automatically, that is a friction reducer. One less sharp edge to catch your sweater on during the day.

The Container Store sells devices for managing and storing stuff around the house. Plastic storage tubs for organizing pictures, shower organizers to hold your soaps and shampoos, partitioned trays for decluttering your kitchen drawers, and so on. I recently got tired of the collection of half-empty bandaid boxes cluttering up the medicine cabinet, so I bought some pharmacy boxes:


Which let me organize the bandaids (and see them) and get rid of the bandaid boxes. Handy.

But what I really like is the Container Store tape measure. An automatically retracting cloth tape measure. It has a lanyard hook, a stainless steel tip, and a white plastic case. It fits the palm and pocket perfectly:


But the very absolutely most wonderful thing about it? It is made in Germany.

No comments: