Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Abel Pelletier

For many years I've owned a pair of beaver tail snowshoes


Made by a man named Abel Pelletier in St. Albert Quebec. Today I used my snowshoes to take my morning woods walk. The sun was rising just as I crossed a small clearing in the woods, and there was a wash of red across the snow, filled with impossibly small sparkling points of light.

Later, I heard one of my favorite woods walk sounds: A hairy woodpecker, tap tap tapping high above me. I love this sound, because you hear it as you're walking, then you stop and wait for the sound again. The second time you hear it, you try to locate where it is. And then you wait for the sound again. If you're lucky, the third time you hear the sound, you'll also see the movement of the woodpecker.

So those are some simple things I like today.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

these were not made by a man... They were made by Mme Abel Pelletier et fils of St. Aubert Quebec... a woman! I too own a pair that were , to me by dear friends, who met HER in person, and they purchased this pair from her. National Geographic also did an article on her, including photo.

But, your Blogged location sounds beautiful.

Judi White, Orange County, CA

Unknown said...

these were not made by a man... They were made by Mme Abel Pelletier et fils of St. Aubert Quebec... a woman! I too own a pair that were gufted to me by dear friends, who met HER in person, and they purchased this pair from her. National Geographic also did an article on her, including photo.

But, your Blogged location sounds beautiful.

Judi White, Orange County, CA

Mimi said...

I have a pair of miniature snowshoes with her name, city and province, any help is appreciated!