Monday, April 10, 2006

My Mini spec

I've got a 2006 Mini Cooper S currently on order. Mini really encourages and facilitates the special ordering of their cars. Their web site has a very easy to use tool for creating a custom configuration, which you can then view, print, or dispatch directly to your local dealer.

It took me about a week to come up with my configuration:

My 2006 MINI Cooper S

Base MSRP* $20,900
Destination & Handling $550
paint

British Racing Green Body Color $450

White Roof/Mirrors $0

White Bonnet Stripes $100
package

Cold Weather Package $300

Heated Front Seats

Heated Side Mirrors and Washer Jets
performance

Sport Suspension Plus STD

Limited Slip Differential $500

16" V-Spokes (All-Season) STD

Front Fog Lamps $150

Rear Fog Lamp $100

6-Speed Getrag Manual STD
cockpit

Sport Seats STD

Leatherette: Black STD

Int. Surface Anthracite $0

3-Spoke w/Cruise and Multifunction $250

6-spkr AM/FM CD Player STD
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $23,300
accessory**

Black Carpet Floor Mats (4) (installation not incl.) $95
TOTAL ACCESSORIES ** $95
TOTAL MSRP AS CONFIGURED* $23,300
TOTAL COMBINED $23,395


My color choice was driven by what I think of as the classic Mini color scheme, with a white roof over British Racing Green. I'm not thrilled that the current BRG is metallic, but I think it will look OK.

My other choices were really driven by my experience trying to find my Porsche 911. When I first bought a 911, it fit me, but snugly. But when I decided that I wanted to do a trackday, I absolutely could not get a helmet on. It took about a year, but I found another 911 of the same year without a sunroof, and it was definitely worth the wait. I was grateful to the original owner that he specified such a basic car: no sunroof and no optional equipment other than body-colored Fuchs alloys.

I decided to do a similar thing with my Mini: I wanted to get a light, performance-oriented car. I'm 6'9" tall, and I fit fine in a Mini. But when I put on my helmet, I need the extra headroom that comes from not having a sunroof. Plus, the sunroof adds about 40 pounds to the car in the worst possible location.

I did not order the 17" s-lite wheels, because they weigh 25 lbs each, as opposed to 17 lbs for the V-spokes. This means that I have fewer tire choices, and also that I won't be able to fit the JCW brake kit.

Finally, the fogs. I ordered those because I didn't like the look of the blanking panels.

No comments: